Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Thousand Midwest Flowers: Kate Mckinnon and Silver Metal Clay. YAH!

For those of you who didn't know....A fellow clayer and all round awesome chick, 
Debbie Crothers and I had an amazing journey planned to America to up skill 
ourselves for an upcoming Community Development Project happening next year 
in the Midwest. I unfortunately had to come home after 4 days due my father getting critically ill but.....but... I did get to have 3 amazing days with the lovely Kate Mckinnon. Here is the post from our first day with Kate....and you can check out the blog to see the rest of our time with Kate and Debbie's Polymer clay adventures with some 'shit hot' American artists!

I'm sitting here trying to think of what to tell you about today...and seriously 
I'm struggling to find the words!
Meeting Kate was like meeting up with an old friend! Kate is an amazing,funny,intelligent and clear woman who lives very admirably within her own integrity! 
She has such an incredible understanding of the Silver Clay medium and within 
the first few hours I learnt of lot of really simple and effective techniques. Kate 
has such a great way of bringing everything back to basics and I'm finding things 
that previously seemed challenging are now logical and totally accessible. Thank 
you Kate!

Kate with some of her divine pieces!






















We started the day by going over the basics and creating a basic 
palate of silver clay/fine silver components that we will use to 
create our pieces, such as bead caps and head pins. Alot of this 
info is in Kate's book, Structural Metal Clay which I would highly 
recommend!







Click here to see the rest of the blog :A thousand midwest flowers





1 comment:

  1. Absolutely fantastic Rachel. I'm so incredibly glad that you got to do this part of the journey. Your work has come along in leaps and bounds and I'm so proud of the achievements you're making. You're going to have an incredible future with this unbelievable medium.

    ReplyDelete